Avondale Estates 2023 Halloween Safety Plan
The City of Avondale Estates welcomes residents and visitors to a fun night of Halloween trick-or-treating on October 31, 2023. During this festive and spooky time of the year, the city asks everyone to prioritize safety while celebrating. The Avondale Estates Police Department shares the following plan to ensure the safety of those participating in the city’s Halloween tradition.
Beginning at 5:30 p.m., Clarendon Ave. will reduce to one-way traffic traveling south from South Avondale Rd. to Wiltshire Dr.
Unlike last year, Clarendon Ave. will have the only traffic change in the city. Officers will be assigned to roads within the residential area and will be visible and moving within their assigned areas to ensure the safety of visitors and residents.
Implementing assigned areas versus staffed posts within the residential area allows the police department to be more fluid in its response and direct resources to areas that may need additional officers for safety.
At 8:30 p.m. Clarendon Ave. will reopen to two-way traffic. Officers will begin to circulate the neighborhoods informing patrons that they need to start making their way to their vehicles or residents.
The city asks residents and visitors to follow these safety tips:
- Trick-or-treaters should stay on sidewalks and be cautious when crossing streets. Do not cut across yards and only cross at designated crosswalks. If there are no sidewalks, walk on the left side of the street, facing oncoming cars.
- Please be patient while driving through the city this Halloween. Slow down, drive carefully and stay alert for little goblins. Vehicles should not stop on the roadways.
- Keep all candles away from landings and doorways where they could brush up against someone. Use artificially lit candles whenever possible.
- Trick-or-treaters should wear brightly colored costumes and carry a flashlight and/or glow stick to ensure visibility.
- Costumes should be short enough so they are not a tripping hazard for children.
- Parents should accompany children whenever possible. Parents should know the route of unaccompanied children. Talk with children about Halloween safety. Tell them not to eat any candy until treats are examined by a guardian.
- Residents are welcome to pair up with neighbors to hand out treats. Some neighbors set up Halloween tables near sidewalks which alleviates door traffic.
- Please turn off outdoor lights when no longer accepting trick-or-treaters. Trick-or-treating hours are from 5:30 - 8:30 p.m.
- Adult trick-or-treaters going to a party should remember to have a designated driver.
Avondale Estates wishes everyone a happy and safe Halloween!