For the second year in a row, the City of Avondale Estates ranks #15 in the nation on Opendoor's Family-Friendly Cities list. According to Opendoor, if you’re seeking a small-town feel with big-city amenities nearby, look no further than Avondale Estates.
"We're honored to be recognized as a top family-friendly city,” said Mayor Jonathan Elmore. “It is a testament to the dedication of our community that Avondale Estates continues to grow and evolve, all while maintaining its cherished small-town essence."
The only city in Georgia to make the list, Avondale Estates was recognized for providing family-centric programming throughout the year. Some activities from 2023 include:
- an Earth Day sustainability fair and concert with kids activities including creating seed bombs and recycling games,
- Atlanta Pride’s annual Family Fun Day and Picnic where the city provided music performances and karaoke in addition to hosting,
- Storywalks® at the Town Green for Juneteenth ("Juneteenth for Mazie") and a Hispanic Heritage Month ("Alma and How She Got Her Name"),
- the Fourth of July Parade with a patriotic wheels brigade open to all and a Fourth of July Fireworks Celebration with stilt walkers, hula hoop dancers, jugglers and magicians,
- National Night Out hosted by the Avondale Estates Police Department with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Black Panther, free pizza and games including cornhole with a cop,
- Halloween and winter holiday decoration competitions for homes and businesses,
- Five Weekend Wind Down Concerts on the second Sunday of the month at the Town Green – great for the entire family, and
- the Town Green Holiday Tree Lighting with ballerinas, children’s choirs, sing-a-longs and Santa.