- Garbage and refuse containers should not exceed 32 gallons. All containers should be placed in one location with only the materials to be picked up in its proximity.
- Logs or tree limbs must be no longer than three (3) feet, and not more than four (4) inches in diameter and stacked neatly at the curb. This material will be collected as rapidly as possible. Trees, bushes or other vegetation from commercial tree trimmers, landscapers or building contractors will not be picked up by the City.
- Debris will not be picked up from vacant lots unless a sanitation tax is paid to the City.
- Building materials, stumps, dirt, rocks, concrete products, automobile bodies and parts, tires, paint, oil and other liquids, and feces will not be picked up by the City. Return used tires to the dealer.
- Paint cans are picked up only in gallon containers. Cans must be filled with cat litter so there is no remaining liquid.
- Leaves must be kept separate from other yard debris and other items for pick up at curbside by leaf vacuum equipment.
- The City participates in the county-wide recycling of Christmas trees. All lights, stands, and decorations must be removed.
- You may transport normal home-generated refuse directly to DeKalb County Disposal Facilities. For locations, operating hours, and acceptable items at these facilities, call 404-294-2900. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Special Pickup Requests
Residents of the City of Avondale Estates may request curbside collection of bulky items for a fee of $50 for the first ton and $50 for each additional ton. Acceptance of the Special Pickup Request is not automatic.
Please note that donation, reuse or repurposing is encouraged before using disposal through this service.
- Special pickup occurs on Wednesdays.
- Fill out a Special Pickup Request form and complete payments by noon on Tuesdays for Wednesday pickup.
- All items must be placed at the curb.
- Building materials, stumps, dirt, rocks, concrete products, automobile bodies and parts (including tires), paint, oil, other liquids and feces will not be picked up by the city.
- Refrigerator doors must be removed.
- Small, deceased animals must be wrapped in plastic bags.
2022 Holiday Sanitation Schedule
|Date of Holiday Observance||Date of Rescheduled Pickup*|
|Martin Luther King Day, Monday, Jan. 17||Tuesday, Jan. 18 (whole City)|
|Memorial Day, Monday, May 30||Tuesday, May 31 (whole City)|
|Independence Day, Monday, July 4||Tuesday, July 5 (whole City)|
|Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 5||Tuesday, Sept. 6 (whole City)|
|Veterans Day, Friday, Nov. 11||Monday, Nov. 14, regular pickup schedule resumes|
|Thanksgiving holidays, Nov. 24 and 25||Monday, Nov. 28, regular pickup schedule|
|Christmas holidays: Dec. 23 and 26||Tuesday, Dec. 27, regular schedule resumes|
|New Year Holiday, Mon., Jan. 2, 2023||Tuesday, Jan. 3, 2023 regular schedule resumes|
*Every intention will be made to pick up the entire city pending issues with crew, equipment or weather.
Residential Sanitation Pickup Schedule
|Mon. & Thu. Collection|
|Bromley Rd.||Chatsworth Dr.||Charlbury Place||Chelsea Ct.|
|Clarendon Place||Coventry Close||Covington Hwy.||Dartmouth Ave.|
|Devon Ln.||Dunwick Dr.||Exeter Rd.||Fairfield Dr.||Fairfield Plaza|
|Franklin St.||Hampshire Ct.||Kensington Rd.
|Maple St.||Nottingham Dr.||Oak St.||Olive St.|
|Reese Way||South Avondale Rd.||Stratford Rd.
|Sutton Place||Sussex Rd.|
|Washington St.||Wiltshire Dr.(3-69;
|Tue. & Fri. Collection|
|Ashton Place||Banbury Cross||Berkeley Rd.||Berkeley Village||Clarendon Ave.
|Covington Rd.||Hess Dr.||Kensington Rd.
|Lakeshore Plaza||Lakeview Place||Majestic Circle
|Melford Place||Oakham Place|
|Old Rockbridge Rd.||N. Clarendon Rd.||S. Avondale Plaza||Stratford Green
|Viscount Ct.||Windsor Terrace||Wilshire Dr.
NOTE: Sanitation pickup at commercial locations occurs either four days a week or one day a week depending upon the amount of service paid for in the commercial location's business license.